Thursday, January 14, 2016

OUGD402 - Self Branding - Artist Inspiration and Idea Generation

Brainstorming Ideas - For my self branding I wanted to create a platform of some description that would showcase my preferred working style and let clients and potential employers know a bit about myself.

I wanted to keep my image, fun and light hearted while simultaneously showcasing my passion and talent for illustration and hand rendered details, as well as my love for brainstorming and generating ideas. 

These are a few potential ideas for the physical aspects of my self branding:


  • Hexaflexagon - Inspired by Mulberry's AW ' 11 show, explore the potential of creating my own hexaflexagon containing information about me, using my own drawings and key things employers should know.
  • A wrapper to hold a Burger - I loooooove burgers! A more quirky idea was to design some kind of wrapper/sleeve to slot a burger into so you don't get covered in burger juice. The outside would demonstrate my own illustrations and a funny slogan would be used on the back such as 'my designs are also this juicy' to show I don't take myself too seriously but simultaneously creating quite a memorable design. Also who doesn't love burgers?
  • On the theme of punny slogans, designing the skin of an object in place of designing a business card would be both functional as well as representative. Using this approach would catch the attention of any potential employers / clients as hopefully they would keep/use the objects on a regular basis and carry them around with them. A funny slogan relating to both myself and the object would then be printed onto the item. Suitable objects may include pencils, lighters, matches etc. containing phrases such as 'I can always pencil you in' or 'why not spark up a conversation?'
  • Another idea was a small fold out publication that could be a 'recipe for me' in the style of a cocktail making poster, showing elements of myself to potential employers / clients. 
  • On a more straightforward note using a picture of myself and doodling over the top of would be a good way to put a name to the face, which I always like. This approach would also subtly highlight my interests in drawings combined with branding and digital design. 
  • Another idea was an origami container similar to Ro & Co.'s design for Bodkin's fashion show. They made a paper invite and folded it so it contained a living air plant. My container would contain something like a mini pencil -relating to my drawing skills or a worry doll with the message "worried about your brief? Use this until I get there!'" Highlighting my passion for idea generation and creating .
  • Finally, use the art materials themselves. Simply, use a piece of chipped artboard with paint on and digitally print my details on the back. This shows my passion for being hands combined with my digital know how and is simple yet aesthetic.

Here is an overview of some artists work that will help inspire me for this project: 




Promo & invitation card by Sarah Thorne Graphic Design for Mulberry AW11


Richie Velazquez artwork 


Ro & Co. Bodkin A/W '09 invitation


Coccorina - Cocktail Recipe 

No comments:

Post a Comment