Thursday, January 14, 2016

OUGD402 - Studio Brief 2 - Self Reflection and Aims

Before I start on my self branding project I must first reflect on where my passions and strengths lay with being a designer. This is crucial in identifying the areas that make my work unique and also in focussing my sights on a design path I want to follow and build upon. 

Despite only deciding I wanted to do Graphic Design a year ago I feel like I have come a long way already in starting to understand the vast array of design possibilities that come with studying the subject. It is for this reason however that I am not particularly confident that I have found my niche yet.

I am much more confident with a pen and paper in my hands, sketching ideas, drawing mock-ups and brainstorming. Drawing has been my number one passion for as long as I can remember and I am extremely confident in my drawing ability. I also love painting, collage and making prints and stamps - basically anything tactile. This is an element that I think I would be able to draw upon in my work to creating a unique selling point. 

In terms of graphic design however I enjoy bright, colourful 2D design mixed in with hand rendered elements such as hand drawn typography and illustration. I also like packaging design and branding.

There are the areas I'm aiming to draw upon in this brief, perhaps creating a business card or some form of packaging to showcase my selling points as a young designer. 


For this brief I aim to create an image that:

  • Showcases my passion and talent for drawing / paining/ making.
  • funny / witty element that will make me memorable as a designer/ prove I don't take myself too seriously.
  • combines my interest in illustration / hand drawn typography with unique but clean design.


No comments:

Post a Comment