Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Iris [ Documentary ]


' I don't have any rules because I would only be breaking them' - Iris Apfel

Last Night I watched Iris, a documentary on an iconic fashion guru and lover of clothes and accessories from New York City. The film follows the life of the flamboyantly dressed and quick witted Iris Apfel, 93, her husband Carl, 100, and her impressive collection of clothes from around the world. 

More than a film about fashion, the documentary is a tale of passion and creativity and how as long as you're doing the thing you love, it doesn't matter how old you are.  Iris is a true inspiration to look up to as she does what she thinks and is comfortable in her own skin. She believes in freedom of expression and not living to please others as 'if (you're) happy that way, it's better to be happy than be well dressed.' 

Iris has an incredibly strong work ethic and continues to attend fashion shoots, launch events and gallery exhibitions on a daily basis, perhaps due to the fact she was raised in the great depression and feels privileged to work, let alone in the field she loves.

The film also highlights the genuine love felt between her and Carl her husband, as their affection for each is captured in more than just a few scenes in the film, my favourite line being, '"I figured he was cool, and he was cuddly, and he cooked Chinese, so I couldn’t do any better." It broke my heart to discover he died shortly after the documentary was filmed as their relationship was definitely one to aspire towards. 


Iris is a true legend who continues to inspire future generations on a daily basis, she says what she likes, wears what she wants and doesn't give a damn. If I'm not like her when I'm 93 I'll be very disappointed. 










No comments:

Post a Comment