Monday, February 22, 2016

Picture Book @ The Tetley [ Exhibition ]


Last Wednesday I went to the Tetley to check out their latest exhibition 'Picture Book' featuring work from the likes of David Barton, nous Vous and Christian Barnes, amongst a number of others. 




My favourite room at the Gallery featured the extensive and colourful range of books published by the artist David Barton. The colours were truly beautiful and worked so well as a collective, providing me with plenty of colour swatch inspiration for future projects as I usually struggle with forming a limited colour palette that doesn't consist of charcoal grey and white. I also loved the organic yet delicate nature of the line drawings featured in much of Barton's work. 




A close second favourite was the vibrant original art, prints and pages from Mould Map 1 - 4. Again I was inspired by the bold, contrasting colours and unusual graphics and illustrations, using a range of different media and processes. 





The simplistic shapes and bright colours in Nous Vous Collective's exhibition caught my eye in the gallery, reminding me of Jean Julian's work. I love how effectively simple shapes and line drawings can create bold pieces of work that have dramatic effect, which is one of the aims I'm trying to create in the project I'm doing for Secret7. 

Finally the film showcasing the making of the giant papercut book on the structure of all of the Lakes in the Lake District was really interesting to watch, however unfortunately we were unable to view the contents of the book first hand due to its fragility. I really liked the concept however and thought the results shown in the film were exquisite as the shapes of the interior of the lakes were really beautiful.  




No comments:

Post a Comment