Thursday, January 18, 2018

OUGD602 - iTunes - Writing my CV and Cover letter

In order to apply to the Apple Internship programme, I must provide my most up to date CV, a cover letter and a link to my website. I began by writing out a rough draft of my CV and then got in contact with Sue Holdsworth, a career guidance officer at university and Alec to help me with the content, layout and style. 

I'd heard about Sue after attending a CV workshop back in November which is how I knew about her 1-2-1 tutorial sessions that she ran at the church during in the week. Sue was great in helping me to properly organise the content of my CV and cover letter, scrapping things that were unnecessary and ordering the relevant content in a way that was clear and easy to read. 

Once I'd decided on the content and layout of my CV and cover letter, I contacted Alec for feedback on the style and also the layout of my website:





The original draft of CV before talking to Sue Holdsworth or Alec:





Finished CV:



As you can see, the finished CV is laid out in a much better way, prioritising the most important parts of information such as achievements and the most relevant work experience. The style is minimalist to adhere to Apple's sleek and minimal visual identity. Originally, I wasn't going to add a photograph of myself, however, after talking to John Watters, he suggested adding a photograph in the top corner to help put a name to the face in amongst thousands of other applicants and to help me be remembered. 

Update: My CV, cover letter and portfolio were good enough to get me through to the next round which will be an online recorded video interview with HireView. 

No comments:

Post a Comment